Friday, May 10, 2013

Poems' Day

Sometimes I run into the pictures with beautiful verses, and I feel like sharing them with you. I don't know the authors, they just appear in my Internet space. Yeah, I admit the poems are pretty sad, but it doesn't spoil their tenderness.



I also want to get you my favourite poem "The Tyger" by William Blake. The poet even made an illustration. You see, here's the original Y in 'Tyger' and the punctuation, but later editions, of course, have done it our way. No matter what, enjoy "The Tyger".

Tyger Tyger. burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies.
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand, dare sieze the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art,
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat.
What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain,
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp.
Dare its deadly terrors clasp!

When the stars threw down their spears
And water'd heaven with their tears:
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Tyger Tyger burning bright.
In the forests of the night:
What immortal hand or eye.
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?



There're some audio versions of Shakespeare's sonets and other different poems in my Reader, read by my favourite British actors: Devid Tennant, Tom Hiddleston, Ben Whishaw, Benedict Cumberbatch and Andrew Scott. It's useful listening to the original English language recorded by native speakers (so sexy native speakers) and trying to understand every tiny thing. Plus, I can't help listening to it when I'm sleepless or nervous - nice rich deep male voices always work wonders with the women. 
And here's Mr. Devid Tennant performing for you Sonet 12 by William Shakespeare. Oh, he sits like a machine, but his words fly away.


Also I can't miss our Russian literature and my favourite Russian poets - Mikhail Lermontov and Alexander Blok. Russian writers and poets have probably never had easy life, so didn't have these two. 

Mikhail Lermontov
Like An Evil Spirit

Like an evil spirit hast thou
Shocked my heart from out its rest,
If thou'lt take it quite away now -
Thou wilt win my healing blest!

My heart thy temple evermore!
Thy face,- the altar's Godhead sign!
Not heaven's grace, - thy smiles, restore,
Grant absolution, joy divine! 

Alexander Blok
A Girl Sang a Song

A girl sang a song in the temple's chorus, 
About men, tired in alien lands, 
About the ships that left native shores, 
And all who forgot their joy to the end. 

Thus sang her clean voice, and flew up to the highness, 
And sunbeams shined on her shoulder's white - 
And everyone saw and heard from the darkness 
The white and airy gown, singing in the light. 

And all of them were sure, that joy would burst out: 
The ships have arrived at their beach, 
The people, in the land of the aliens tired, 
Regaining their bearing, are happy and reach. 

And sweet was her voice and the sun's beams around.... 
And only, by Caesar's Gates - high on the vault, 
The baby, versed into mysteries, mourned, 
Because none of them will be ever returned.

And certainly, exercising my rights as a would-be musician, I can't deny many songs have really nice lyrics. And vice versa - there's a glut of cases when a poem has become a decent song. At least, I can warrant Russian music area.
If you're still looking forward to the song of the day, so it'll be an adorable song "The Man I Love" by Ella Fitzgerald. No, it's not the same song which Lana Del Rey sings. But you should pay your attention even more to Ella's song, Ella Fitzgerald is The Queen of jazz. We must give her due, because singing jazz is a hard deal, however easy and funny it may look. I definitely love it. 



Be brave, be smart!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts