Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Elegance of History

I've surrounded myself with historical tests, books, downloaded some documentaries and started working hard ("work-work-work-work-working on my shiiit"). I've written one test and scored only 22 points. It means I need 10 more points just to pass, but it's still too low. I just need to realize that I have damn too little time, organize that little time to fill my lucid mind with all the information I'll ever need.
I've watch the first film of the series about the Romanovs, and I hope it'll help me. You see, I can't just memorize the dates and events, so my English tutor suggest me choosing some more effective way, so an event would stamp in my memory. It was she who offered me to try watching documentaries, and I find this way pretty suitable. We do this at our literature lessons: instead of reading something, we watch a screen version.
Yesterday Russia celebrated Unity Day, therefore in the morning I performed with the chorus. After that I took the books which my mom and I had booked from the delivery service. One of the books is "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" by the French writer Muriel Burbery. The book follows events in the life of a concierge, Renée Michel, whose deliberately concealed intelligence is uncovered by an unstable but intellectually precocious girl named Paloma Josse. Paloma is the daughter of an upper-class family living in the upscale Parisian apartment building where Renée works. (Thank you, Wikipedia) Even though yesterday I only started reading it, I like it a lot, the novel is so funny and full of deep thoughts, that hooks. Russia sells cute editions with an awesome honey-bunny cat. There's everything a real woman likes: cats, jokes, deep meaning reflections and Paris.
After dinner I've asked my parents some questions from the tests and my dad has answered almost all of them! I know who'll go to the history exam in my place.
I'm installing Windows 8.1. For everybody, who owns Windows 8, Windows 8.1 is given for free. And today I've finally decided to get it into my laptop. I hope it'll download before I fall asleep.
What shell I suggest you as the song of the day? Let it be a nice popular kinda melancholic song "To Build A Home" by The Cinematic Orchestra.


There is a house built out of stone
Wooden floors, walls and window sills
Tables and chairs worn by all of the dust
This is a place where I don't feel alone
This is a place where I feel at home.

And I built a home
for you
for me

Until it disappeared
from me
from you

And now, it's time to leave and turn to dust........

Out in the garden where we planted the seeds
There is a tree as old as me
Branches were sewn by the color of green
Ground had arose and passed its knees

By the cracks of the skin I climbed to the top
I climbed the tree to see the world
When the gusts came around to blow me down
Held on as tightly as you held onto me
Held on as tightly as you held onto me...

And I built a home
for you
for me

Until it disappeared
from me
from you

And now, it's time to leave and turn to dust...


P.S. As I promised to myself, I'd downloaded and yesterday rewatched "Cloud Atlas". Our lives are not our own, from womb to tomb, we are bound to others, past and present, and by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts