Friday, January 4, 2013

LOTUS - Review

Hey guys! Yesterday I finally bought the latest album "Lotus" by Christina Aguilera (deluxe edition). The album contains 13 tracks, plus 3 bonus tracks from Deluxe Edition. To tell the truth, I found myself not very excited about it. Let me tell you in detail about my feels.


In general, the album's worth being listened to, but in my oppinion, Christina kinda shouts out a lot there. Of course, she's got a strong voice, one of the strongest in the world, but maybe, it's the editing, anyway, I think there's too much shouts.
Now I'm going to mark out some songs I really like.

  1. Firstly, it's "Cease Fire".This song became my favourite from the album since the first listening. CF is very powerful, so even the screaming in the begining can't spoil it. 
  2. My secong favourite song is "Best Of Me". I call songs like this "songs for self-affirmation". It's not sarcasm, no, I like these songs. And BOF is very cool, therefore I like it. Also there're more "songs for self-affirmation" in "Lotus", are "Army Of Me" and "Empty Words" (below about EW). 
  3. Next song is from Delux Edition Bonus Tracks, and the title is "Light Up The Sky". The song is nice, but I must admit much shout again.
  4. "Empty Words" is also a fine song. It's good on going somewhere for the background. As I've said above, EW is one more sone for self-affirmation. When you're upset, the song can help a bit.
  5. And, certainly, I must mark out "Your Body", the first single from "Lotus". Here the screaming suits pretty well. What about singles from the album, there's also "Just A Fool" feat. Blake Shelton as one, but I think Ms. Aguilera should do more singles, or even just "Cease Fire". 
  6. Also I must say that the intro "Lotus" is very awesome.
Now I must tell you about my biggest disappointment. It is "Blank Page", one of the 2 ballads of the album. Probably, I disappoint it, because I'd listened to the demo version from Sia (one of the authors of BP) with another lyrics. And the version of Sia is AMAZING! Even though she kinda shouts out there too, but it's another kind of shouting, it's exactly singing! And I was very excited to listen to Christina's version. So when I finally heard it... it wasn't what I'd been waiting for. TOO MUCH SHOUT! When I sing like this, my teacher tells me: "Olga, don't shout out!" So what can I say about Aguilera?
Match the snippet of the demo by Sia and Christina's "Blank Page":

Sia's version


Whole album version

Generally, I agree with the critics, which say that it's "a good start in the effort to refocus attention on Aguilera's skills", but observed "several tracks that sound mindlessly repetitive as sedentary listening experiences" and call it "generic" and felt that "nothing really stands out". Moreover I like the expression that the album's "self-empowerment anthems ... as contradictory as they are unoriginal". As I've said! So I would give "Lotus" 3 stars from 5, as The IndependentThe Observer and some others did.
And to sum up, the song of the day (and of the album for myself) will be "Cease Fire" by the main character of my post. Check out!



Be brave!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts