Friday, October 2, 2015

Russian Music


This post isn't what I usually do, and I'd never create one if I didn't have a bunch of non-Russian friends. 
I remember a dialogue between me and one American guy back in LA. We discussed Russian music, he wondered how Russian rap sounded. I said I couldn't reproduce a sample, because I don't like Russian music. And that guy was like "What? What about Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff?" I was pleased with such a reply, because indeed Russian classics are everything, and I really enjoy Tchaikovsky, and also Mussorgsky is the man. But those noble men lived and created many years ago; what about now? Not so long ago I talked to the Australian about the music of the 60's-70's, and I mentioned one Russian singer of the 20th century I like, he's name Muslim Magomaev. He had an incredible opera voice, his songs were and still are hits. I sent one of my fave songs to the Australian, but he never reacted to me about that. But still 60'-70's are the decades back in the twentieth century. 
Nowadays Russian pop music makes me sad. Russian not-only-pop music doesn't bring me lighter mood either. Most of the songs are vulgar and worthless, the lyrics have no meaning, the melodies are catchy, but not beautiful. Still! there are a handful of songs that caught my attention. Most of them are slow, low-key tracks with a bit doleful lyrics - everything I like, isn't it? I'd like to share them with you, even though non-Russian speakers won't understand a thing. In such cases I say to myself: "Everything is about love!" It's not a ranked list, just in the order I recall the songs.
The first one is going to be the song by a Ukrainian band, actually. The band's called "Boombox", the song's title is "Ta 4to" [Ta Chto], it roughly translates as "the girl that..." For example, the first line is "The girl that used to be with me, where are you now?.."


The next song is "Нева" (Neva) by the group "5'nizza" [piatniza]. Neva is a river in St. Petersburg. The song is hard to translate into English, because the authors play on words a lot, and that's exactly what I like in this song. And the melody is nice.


Another one is pretty popular in Russia. It's called "Оружие"("Weapon") by Pizza (easy). Of course, it's not about literal weapon, but love.


Let girls be here too. The next track's "Одно и то же" ("The Same Things") by the band "IOWA". The band is known to produce foolish songs (for me), but this one is really good.


This song was even once translated by me for one post, because I discussed about the religion a little bit, and the track has the same title "Религия" ("Religion") by Eva Bushmina. Again it's not about the religion, but about love so powerful, so it can be compared to it. There were some arguments about such title and attitude in the society, but I like the idea of the song.


What else? Hmm... I don't have much to say about this track, I just heard it in live on TV and liked it. "Браво" ("Bravo") - "На Лунный Свет" ("To The Moonlight").



I think that's it for today. I have a couple more songs in my pocket, but I guess these 6 are enough to understand my Russian preferences. If you find something attractive, I can try and translate that for you, just let me know!



Be brave!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts