Monday, October 12, 2015

B-Movie: Lust & Sound in West Berlin 1979-1989

As I wrote in my previous post, Tatyana and I attended the Beat Film Festival the last week.
According to their official cite, The Beat Film Festival is an international festival of documentaries on arts and music that showcases 25 new titles every year and brings together independent filmmakers, musicians and contemporary artists in an exciting program of film screenings, concerts, talks and performances. Founded in 2010 as an independent cultural initiative, it has grown to be the largest film & music event across Russia. Since 2013 the festival also has a regional extension: under the name of the Beat Weekend the festival brings five key titles from the festival program to 10 largest cities across Russia in the Fall – providing alternative theatrical distribution opportunities to strong Russian and international documentary titles. (http://en.2015.beatfilmfestival.ru/beat/)
Originally Tantyana bought tickets for almost all the movies shown in our cinema. She wanted Anton to go to "B-Movie..." with her, but he worked that day. And I didn't! Fortunately, "B-Movie..." was the film I liked the most from the list, so yeah, we were truly lucky.
"B-Movie: Lust & Sound in West Berlin 1979-1989" is a documentary shot in West Berlin by a Manchester guy Mark Reeder. I had known nothing about Mark Reeder before I watched the film, or about Nick Cave who appeared in the tape. "B-Movie" was apparently shot those time, I mean 1979-1989, right before the Iron Curtain fell and the Berlin Wall was destroyed; Mark Reeder introduces his work as sort of a diary. I wonder if he knew he would create a documentary when he moved to West Berlin. But somehow the film was debuted at the Berlinale 2015.
Our lovely Wikipedia says that "a spectacular documentary film about the island of West Berlin during the 80s viewed by protagonist Mark Reeder. Using original music and featuring rare and unseen footage with participants such as Gudrun Gut, Blixa Bargeld or Nick Cave, it portrays the vibrant avant-garde music scene of the city in its last decade of division. Reeder composed the soundtrack and remastered the songs." One thing that amuses me the most is that "B-Movie..." doesn't have its own Wiki-page in English, though Mark Reeder reads the main text in his utter British accent. Maybe, he did versions both in English and in German? There's some information about it on IMDb, but still not so much. Well, it's such a typical festival movie - you don't hear about it, but once you watch it, you wonder why haven't you heard about it.
Mark Reeder himself
A documentary isn't the kind of film I'd go to the cinema for. If I randomly run into a documentary on TV and it catches my attention, I probably keep it on; I don't usually go to the cinema for that. But here I was invited, and it was a festival, so I couldn't skip it.
Music described and used in the movie is also not my type either. It was all about electronica, post-punk and trans, but I can't say I shut my ears with my hands. It was an experience, I'd never listened to such music so properly before. Nevertheless, Tatyana and I chanced to discover one song we both liked, and it's on my playlist. So I'll make it the song of the day in the end.
And that lifestyle West Berlin 80's isn't my thing at all! So rageful, so raving, flashy! Sex, drugs, rock'n'roll - there it was. Tatyana asked me if I'd like to live in those years, but I doubted if I would survive. Nowadays one can also easily find a company offering drugs, alcohol and one-night affairs, and I try not to face those guys. But what if I was brought up in that decade, in that city? How would I act?


Nevertheless I enjoyed the film, it's really impressive. Everyone who's interested in music, or in history, in German culture should definitely check it out.


Actually, a B movie is a low-budget commercial motion picture that is not an arthouse film. Well, I think it fits "B-Movie...". Also the title couldn't but remind me and all my friends about the DreamWorks animated movie "Bee Movie".
I promised you the song of the day that I heard in the tape. I've just learnt that the song wasn't created in 80's, it was released in 2013! Anyhow it was used in "B-Movie...", and it fitted very well. So the song is "You Need The Drugs" by Westbam Feat. Richard Butler.


Some Sunday morning see you
Picking up the fine
Ticking down the last time
Before the credits run
A traffic is a moving ...moving awful slow
To the sound of you complaining
We got nowhere left to go

You need the drugs to make the stars come down
You need the drugs to make you shine
You need the pills to take you home again
Don't be so ladida, so ladida
You need the drugs

You need the drugs to make the stars come down
You need the drugs to make you shine
You need the pills to take you home again
Don't be so ladida, so ladida
You need the drugs

All of your tomorrows are a dream I never had
Everything is broken, everything unsaid
But I see all your shadows running
Circles at my feet
And you're making all the promises that
No one never keeps

You need the drugs to make the stars come down
You need the drugs to make you shine
You need the pills to take you home again
Don't be so ladida, so ladida
You need the drugs.



Be brave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts