Monday, October 19, 2015

Role Model

The generation of my parents wanted to become cosmonauts, doctors, constructors. My generation wanted (or still wants) to become lawyers, psychologists, designers. I remember I wanted to become a psychologist too when I was about... 10 years old. Then when I first visited St. Petersburg, I came up with the idea of becoming a journalist, and it was a serious wish (I really prepared for the faculty of journalism) that lasted till... my second trip to St. Petersburg. Yeah, our North capital proved to be my turning point. Now I barely have an idea about my future in the meaning of profession. 
Well, yes, I say that I want to be a writer. But I know that I won't just sit down, easily write something and money will immediately start pouring on me. 
I'm sure to have the Master's degree after the Bachelor's one. I want to study for the Master's degree in another city, somewhere else; probably try St. Petersburg one more time. But lately I've started thinking about taking a break after finishing FEFU. Why? I don't know. To save money or to spend it, have some life? It's only my second year here, though, my choices and decisions can change. Also, I don't forget about my tutor's suggestion for me to get a degree in English somewhere abroad to become a professional English speaker/teacher/person. Still I'll need money for that.
I know I'll be able to earn some money giving private lessons. Moreover, I enjoy the work, though its existence depends on other people. Although I haven't tried it yet, but I guess working at school will make an office plankton out of me. I know every job can be a creative one, especially teaching, but I also imagine the amount of paperwork a teacher has, so I really doubt it. Of course, I'll have my school practice at the 4th year of university, so we'll see about everything. 
Translating things? I think I just need to try that even now. Just find some spare time, a little piece of a good material and try to make something decent of it. It'll be good as for my English so for my Russian. And it'll improve my writing skills, so I should just try it.
All in all, I'm a typical student now - too many plans, too little certainty. But I am certain in one thing. I know that no matter what I will do for a living, I want to be a role model. I wanna be a good role model for my little nieces firstly, for my future children, for people around me if they're interested. I want to be interesting for people. This idea came to me when I was told that my first cousin once removed had said "I want to attend a music school like Olga!" It made me feel so proud of myself. Some human being wanted to do something like me, and that human being was my relative. And I know that my elder sister's daughters really like me. I want them to look at me not only like someone who appears once in 6 months and is known to be their aunt but at someone who knows many fascinating stories, who knows how to behave, how to deal with the life. Of course, the main role models in their life are their parents, but there's always someone we think of as well when we make decisions or when we think about decent people in our lives, who influence our lives.
From the left: my mom, me with my gold medal for excellent
school education, and my Godmother
The person who influences my life this way is my Godmother. We don't meet too often, but if we have a chance I try to visit her with my mother (my mother and Godmother are kinda colleagues). I like to listen to my Godmother's stories, some life hacks, how she spent her latest vacation, where she has been and what she has seen. She also says that she always thinks of me, and it warms my heart.
Also, I sympathize our this-semester literature professor. She reminds me of my Godmother, they're like the same type of a person. You know, when you meet somebody, and (s)he resembles someone else you know in looks, in characters, etc. So I like how our literature professor treats us, how she presents her lectures. I watch her with my eyes open wide, follow the way she speaks and shows her attitude to various things, and I definitely see some of my Godmother's features. So I treat our literature professor as my university Godmother. These two women are my role models (after my own mother, of course). 
So what do I mean by being a role model? In my opinion, a role model
  1. knows how to present him/herself. The way you walk, the way you talk shows so much about you. You are sure to know people who enchant everyone around only stepping in the room. They may not be famous or stereotypically attractive but you want to know them, you want to be around them.
  2. knows the values of life. Money doesn't matter, the fullness of life does. Role models have some great experience you want to know and they will to share. 
  3. motivates you without even knowing about it. When you see your role model or talk to him or her, you unconsciously wants to become better, to evolve and improve.
I don't mean role models are to be worshipped like cult figure and you should copy their appearance and moves. But I think it's good to have someone to look at in real life. Because of course we have idols - you all are aware of my love to Beyonce, but I don't consider her as my role model: I haven't meet Beyonce in person, I've never talked to her, never heard her life stories face-to-face. But once I do, Queen B will certainly be on my list.
So yes, this is what I want for sure. I want to be good. I want to provide my nieces and children and other people with the energy to motivate them to be better. I want to tell them my story, I want them to see the life from my point of view, want them to know what is right and what is wrong. I want them to know that "nothing is impossible. Don't let your dreams be dreams! JUST DO IT!" and so on. I want to be a role model.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts