Thursday, February 20, 2014

Women

Prologue
Originally I wrote this composition for my English lesson as a home task. My tutor asked me to write "in inspiring composition" without thinking of the size and the structure. In the end she really liked my "Women", and I ended up really proud of myself. Thanks especially to Beyonce for inspiring me and leading my mind in that direction.


Yeah, I know I misspelled a word and forgot about plural form, but it was just because I was in a hurry, I swear! And not to urge you to 'dance with the tambourine' about my handwriting, I suggest you reading the text typing lower without mistakes, but still with big love.

Women

What does it mean to be a woman? In ancient time women were treated as slaves and idols at the same time. Being smart and sly, peasant women became powerful and important. Outstanding women went down to the history, they are considered as heroes who must influence on people,  and they do. Every era has its own example of a great woman.
Cleopatra was a queen of the Nile, she became a goddess, having affairs with famous men of her time. Madame de Pompadour wasn't a queen, but almost everyone has heard of her. She was born in a poor family, but chanced to get excellent education and reach the King's court with her beauty and knowledge. Marylin Monroe also started out  poor and unknown, but her good-looking body, nice skills of acting and witty mind helped her to become as popular as Mr. President. Many people think she was dumb and didn't cost a dime, but to my mind she was smart enough to rule men and still stay a pretty damsel. Coco Chanel turned the world upside down letting women wear men's trousers. But she knew that a good woman needed a man.
My favourite woman of our modern life (expect mom, of course) is Beyonce. She's known to be a feminist, but not a feminist everyone imagines. In her latest song "Flawless" the singer describes: "Feminist: a person who believes in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes". It means that men can be feminists as well. Our society is supposed to be open and tolerant, but why are some women still treated as slaves in the 21 century? Recently I got a hilarious example. My new classmate had a boyfriend, and he forbade her to help us to make a present for our boys! This present - a photo of all girls - would be a nice memory for our classmates, but the boyfriend was too jealous and powerful to let his girl become a part of the class. I think it's nonsense! Beyonce also has some lines about it: "I am expected to make my life choices always keeping in mind that marriage is the most important... But why do we teach girls to aspire to marriage and we don't teach boys the same?" In my opinion, men and woman must respect each other, and this respectful relationship will keep love and married life longer, than a relationship built on simple passion. Women are expected to be magical creatures which have time to bring children up, earn money and be tender and patient. And they can do all the things, if men support them. Women are human beings as well, they can be the greatest scientists, motorcyclists as men do. But women's power often depends on men's support.
Still this is a man's world. That's why women should be smart to admire men, but not forget about themselves; should be strong to survive, but let men be stronger. Ms. Monroe once said: "I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it".


Epilogue
I know, it might seem controversial, but it's my thoughts and my opinion. My tutor said it was smart and interesting, and my statements were alright. 
And I also know that the quotes I used in the composition weren't sung by Beyonce herself, but by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. But it's from Beyonce's album, and it's Beyonce's song, so I hope Chimamanda wouldn't mind naming "Flawless" with all its words a song of Beyonce's.



Be brave, love each other

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts