Sunday, November 22, 2015

Movies' Day. Part IV

Although I write about separate movies from time to time, it's been pretty long since my last "Movies' Day" post, so I feel quite ready to create something new for you.
philadelphia movieAlright, alright, alright! Last weekend my roommate and dear friend Cherry Lady checked the movies we had been recommended by our professors. 

The first one is "Philadelphia", a 1993 American drama film and one of the first mainstream Hollywood films to acknowledge HIV/AIDS, homosexuality, and homophobia. (Thanks, Wikipedia) Actually, the film wasn't in our mood, but we watched it pretty attentively because the acting is simply brilliant! I can easily understand why Mr. Tom Hanks received the Oscar for the leading role of Andrew Beckett. And the soundtrack! Certainly I'd heard "Streets of Philadelphia" by Bruce Springsteen before, but I never knew it was for the movie. That was pleasant news. 
The plot is rather controversial but pretty understandable. I loved that even though Denzel Washington's character Joe Miller had homophobia and  mysophobia, he agreed on helping Andrew Beckett in the name of justice and law. The movie's worth watching even if you're not a fan of the jurisprudence.

philadelphia movie
Tom Hanks as Andrew Beckett

guys and dolls 1955
On Sunday, we turned on "Guys and Dolls". It's a 1955 movie based on the Broadway musical of the same name. It starred  Marlon Brando, Jean Simmons, Frank Sinatra and Vivian Blaine. The plot is about how 50s' New York criminals liked gambling and betting. And that love wins at the end of it all. The movie is full of nice songs and fancy dances - of course, it's based on the musical! I liked the characters. Men were so handsome and women were so stylish those days. It reminded me of how much I like 50s' movies.

The only thing I didn't like in "Guys and Dolls" was Sister Sarah Brown's wedding dress. Or better say, the lack of her wedding dress! I know that she was a missionary, but I beg you! It's a 50s' musical! You could have made it!

But in general, "Guys and Dolls" is totally worth watching.

marlon brando




spectre 007
The third film I wanna talk about is the latest James Bond film "Spectre". The acting crew is wonderful! Daniel Craig, of course, but I was even more thrilled about one and only Monica Bellucci, adorable Ben Whishaw, Ralph Fiennes and - OMG YAS - Andrew Scott! Mr. Scott played Max Denbigh, a member of the British government, and comparing this character to Scott's famous Moriarty, I guess Andrew Scott do fine with this type of role. Unfortunately, Andrew's character won't be lucky to appear in next movies. But maybe as a flashback? Please?
Frankly speaking, I didn't like Léa Seydoux as a Bond girl much. Well, she's nice, but not splendid, you know.

The story features James Bond's first encounter with the global criminal organisation Spectre, marking the group's first appearance in an Eon Productions film since 1971's Diamonds Are Forever, and tying Craig's series of films together with an overarching storyline. (Thanks, Wikipedia)


ben whishaw qspectre andrew scott

Of course, I can't help writing about the main "Spectre" theme "Writing's On The Wall" performed by Sam Smith. Remember how excited I was with "Skyfall" by Adele? No wonder why it received an Oscar. So "Writing's On The Wall" is spectacular as well. I watched the live performance, and Mr. Smith nailed it! Let's see what awards this track will get.



Also, Cherry Lady and I have watched (my friend has re-watched) an amazing British series calls "Black Books". There are 3 seasons in the sitcom as well as 3 main characters: the bookshop's owner Bernard Black played by hilarious Dylan Moran, his assistant Manny Bianco and their friend Fran Katzenjammer. Actually, it's all about the wine, dealing with life and relationships, more booze, books vs. modern technologies, "Don't you dare use the word "party" as a verb in this shop!" and wine again. The comedy is just great! Not that stupid American pointless sitcoms, but classy smart British-Irish humor as it is.


black books dylan moran







That's all for today! Enjoy the silence the movies and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts